Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Looking for a House



We've been looking around the Las Vegas Valley for a house to buy!!! It's very exciting, and very tiresome at the same time. I'm pretty picky, I have to admit. If I'm going to be staying in this place for the next 5-10 years and spending all sorts of money, I better like it! I really prefer hardwood flooring with as little carpet as possible (just the bedrooms, ideally). I don't want to have to worry as much about spills, cleanings, etc. and I just like the look. I HATE the style of Las Vegas homes, the majority of them all have a very southwestern facade. No thanks. In a perfect world, I would be moving to a community where homes looked like these.
We found a beautiful home in Sun City Anthem (go figure, it's one of the nicest areas in the whole valley, yet this house is listed at just $160,000). Then we looked to see how far of a commute it would be for Adam. Too far. I was disappointed, but there's only like 5 million homes for sale in Las Vegas, so I kept looking. Last night, Adam showed me a house I liked even better!! It really doesn't top this thing. Nearly 1700 square feet, hardwood floors, fun cabinets, beautiful appliances, I LOVE the island in the kitchen, it's my dream home (at least, from the few pictures I've seen), and best of all, it's listed at $119,900!!! Holy cow! That's so affordable it's ridiculous. Then I went to go see what area it was in (holding my breath that it wasn't in the NE area) and how far of a commute it would be for Adam. Turns out, it's just 20 minutes away from his work, which really isn't bad! However, it's in Lone Mountain, the very NW edge of the Valley... not ideal. I looked up the school ratings and they were fine, I talked to a realtor (who we're not working with, so no strings attached) and he said it's an area we would enjoy. I've looked through probably about 1,000 (no kidding) homes in our price range and haven't found anything quite as good (or as inexpensive). So what do we do?? It's kind of out there... though the land around it has been developed with retail and restaurants, but we're definitely nowhere close to any of the main attractions. Perhaps it's a good thing?? I don't really know that I want my kids being raised in the hussle and bussle of the busy city... but it might be nice to be a little more inland for eventual resale.
Any thoughts?

P.S. Another runner up (but a little further to work)

4 comments:

elopingcamel said...

We're moving into a two-bedroom apartment this weekend. Just come shack up with us guys.

Lauren said...

I LOVE that house! The hardwood flooring is gorgeous. I hope everything works out for you guys.

Kat said...

I love the look of wood floors too but these past two years I have come to HATE them. We have no carpet in our house. I spend more time cleaning the floor than anything else and I get so sick of it. No matter how much I sweep and mop I can still feel the dirt on my feet so I just wear socks all the time now. I also hate that Jacob and I have to brush our feet off before we get in bed and somehow there is still dirt in our bed all the time. However, I do love that when Jake spits up or Lily spills, it doesn't stain and is easy to clean up.

Rebecca said...

How exciting send lots of picture when you get every thing figured out. I want to get a house so bad to and the market is great for buying houses. Good Luck. Wood floor are great. And timeless.