Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I did it (almost) ALL by myself!

Adam introduced me to this fabulous blog last week and I decided if Ana could do it, I could do it.  So I thought it would be fun to make a picnic bench for the kids for Easter.  I went and bought some wood, screws, a little paint and glue... borrowed a saw from a friend and took on my first carpentry job!  It took a little while, but I finished it and I learned A LOT.  Adam only helped with the top of the picnic table, and I did all the cuts for the whole table, and the screwing and painting for the rest of the table.  The kids LOVE it, and I'm definitely going to be making our bed frame from one of Ana's other plans.

7 comments:

darbie said...

I was thinking of making this too! I wanted to start with this or the headboard because they looked the easiest. Any other tips to share as I have zero experience?

Kristin said...

i'm 100% addicted to that blog now! sheesh whit. like I needed any more hobbies. lol. thanks a lot. :) p.s. we miss you. can we come visit sin city?

Jessica Morgan said...

wow! that's impressive! way to go Whitney!

Staci said...

Wow that turned out really good. I think you have inspired me to ask David to make one! I think Madi would really like it. You are not afraid to try new things, which is so awesome.

Chelsea said...

Love that blog and the headboard. You make yours, then you can do mine! :) Looks great!

Adam said...

My number one recommendation is to learn how to you use the tools before you start hacking away. I just got in there and started doing it. After about an hour of wondering why it wasn't working as well as I thought it would, I went back and read the manuals on the tools and found out I was doing it all wrong. Once I started doing it RIGHT though, it went a million times faster. :)

Jenn said...

Yeah!!! I keep meaning to follow Ana's plans... Sometime soon, I hope. I'm glad to actually know someone who has done it!