Sunday, July 19, 2009

Insane

Last Monday night we had a couple over after FHE. We got to talking about homes and they told us that the average home price in Detroit (where they are from) is $10,000! That's right, my friends, I did NOT forget a zero... ten thousand bucks, that's it. I didn't believe them at first, but I googled it, and it's true!! Now, with the Federal Tax Credit of $8,000 for first time home buyers, that puts a person at $2,000 that they would owe of their own hard earned money for the house. Most people could pay off their house in a month!! So then I decided that I needed to check out these houses. So I went to the old trusty realtor.com and looked them up. Sure enough, the cheapest house I found in Detroit was going for $25... and the REALLY funny part is that they wanted a $1000 earnest money deposit!!!!!! I found that ridiculously hilarious (for those of you who don't know what EMD is... it's a check you sign over to the bank that indicates you're really serious about buying the house, even though the check is never cashed... it's their way of not letting you back out after the bank works with you on the whole closing process. If you do back out last second though, they can and will cash the check).
Then I decided it would be fun to look at houses there in our price range. Now, my absolute favorite houses in the world are really, really, really old houses. They have so much character and history, I just love them. So when I stumbled across this house, I almost died. Take a look...










I think the decorating could have been done better... in an old house, you HAVE to go all antique with the furniture, but I LOVE the house!! Even BETTER, it's actually a 2 unit house, and you get BOTH units, all for less than $730 a month! Too bad we're not moving to Detroit!

Addage:
....eh, yeah, too bad...

-Hubby

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Woah! That's insane.